SIGNS OF THE TIMES
No need to change your address—the commemorative street signs installed in the downtown area are there just to remind people that this year the city is celebrating the 150th anniversary of the founding of Glenwood.
Glenwood was first platted in 1866. As with most cities, the streets were identified with “names” rather than numbers, but the city changed to numbers and directions sometime in the 1960s. The only streets that were not changed to numbers were Franklin Street and Minnesota Avenue. Above, Mayor Scott Formo (right) and Glenwood Commissioner Todd Gylsen kicked off the city’s 150th celebration by installing the commemorative street sign for Minnesota Avenue and State Street. The commissioners also provided an agenda and the mayor’s nameplate for the time capsule, which will be filled with items throughout the year and then sealed for 50 years. The time capsule will be at each of the monthly events planned during the year-long celebration. The street signs will also be sold to the highest bidder during an auction that will take place sometime this year.