A big piece of Starbuck history is now gone.
The Star Lanes Bowling Alley on West 6th Street was demolished on Tuesday, July 28.
The building has been sitting vacant for just over two years due to a storm causing the roof to cave in effectively shutting down the business.
History of Star Lanes according to Starbuck Centennial Book 1883-1983:
In the year 1958, Luther Kristensen, local teacher at that time, wanted to establish a bowling alley in Starbuck. Earl Larson purchased the building from Henry Nodland, which had been built to house the Harry Henrikson, Ted Rydholm and Wesley Magnuson Implement, and Henry Nodland’s office, which is now Esther Ann Olson’s Beauty Shop and S.B. Wilson Veterinary Office. A thirty-three foot addition was built to accomodate the bowling lanes. A contract with Brunswick Corporation to furnish and install the six lanes with automatic pinsetters, lockers, setters, balls, ball racks and all other equipment necessary. The lanes were ready for play the fall of 1959 with six nights of league play.
In 1962, Luther Kristensen wanted to sell the lanes, and Earl Larson entered into a contract with Brunswick to purchase the equipment at Star Lanes with the modernization of the pinsetters to A2, which sped up play. A twenty-four by sixty foot game room was built, and pool tables and pinball machines were installed.
1976 was another year for modernizing - installation of automatic scorers, new carpeting, setters, masking units, everything to make Star Lanes a first class bowling center.
In 1980, Roger and Darryl Larson purchased the Star Lanes, and Earl Larson stayed on as manager.
In 1982, there were 78 teams participating in league play.
Photo by WaskaWeb