Lake amoeba should be no need to panic
Horizon Public Health called a meeting on July 8 to get a message out to area residents and visitors: There is no reason to panic.
The meeting, attended by local law enforcement, city officials from Glenwood and Starbuck, local media, representatives of Glacial Ridge Health System, emergency responders, and other community leaders was in response to a report issued July 7 by the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) that it was investigating a case of suspected primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM) in a critically ill teen who later died at the University of Minnesota Medical Center in Minneapolis, according to reports.
PAM is a very rare and severe brain infection caused by an amoeba called Naegleria fowleri. Health officials determined that 14-year-old Hunter Boutain of Alexandria developed the infection after swimming at Lake Minnewaska.
He was being treated for a suspected case of primary amebic meningoencephalitis when he died. There were details about a head injury that may have made the youth more susceptible to the amoeba and thus the PAM infection, it was reported by the family on caringbridge.com.